And cocaine tragically ends the life of another promising artist…RIP.
Here are other good cocaine-related facts:
- In 74% of cocaine-related fatalities in the United States, another drug, usually alcohol, had been co-ingested. The addition of alcohol to cocaine increases the risk of sudden death 25-fold.
- Of patients with cocaine-induced heart attack, 38% had normal coronary arteries. More than two thirds were moderate-to-heavy cigarette smokers (>1-2 packs daily). The average number of additional coronary risk factors, however, was less than 1.
- Most acute cocaine-related nontraumatic deaths are the result of tachydysrhythmias (abnormally fast heart beat). Other causes of sudden death associated with cocaine use include stroke, subarachnoid hemorrhage, hyperthermia, and the consequences of agitated delirium.
- In patients with an arrhythmogenic anatomic substrate, even low levels of cocaine can cause tachydysrhythmias. (if you have anything at all wrong with your heart, a tiny amount of cocaine can kill you).
- The hearts of cocaine users are 10% heavier than those of nonusers.
- Cocaine users have been found to have a 14-fold increase in risk of stroke when compared with matched controls.
- Of cocaine-associated deaths investigated by the Medical Examiner’s Department of Metropolitan Dade County, Florida, between 1979 and 1990, excited delirium was the terminal event in approximately 1 of every 6 fatalities. Patients with excited delirium had an immediate onset of bizarre and violent behavior, which included aggression, combativeness, hyperactivity, hyperthermia, extreme paranoia, unexpected strength, and/or incoherent shouting. All of these were followed by cardiorespiratory arrest.
- Cocaine is the most frequently reported substance associated with drug abuse or misuse deaths. Cocaine is reported in 39% of such drug deaths, ranging from 8-70% in various areas.
Cocaine is the most deadly drug in America…more so than heroin. There is no known safe dose of cocaine. Combining it with alcohol puts you at an alarmingly greater risk. It can kill people on their first use or their 10,000th use. Please think about this.