More Americans are opposing reform.
A new Washington Post-ABC News poll found that 44 percent of Americans support the proposed changes in the health-care system being debated in Congress, while 51 percent oppose them. Opposition is more intense than support, with 39 percent saying they strongly oppose the legislation and 22 percent saying they strongly favor it. Fifty-three percent said the changes would mean higher personal costs, and 50 percent said the quality of their health care would be better if the measure did not pass. Fifty-six percent said the overall cost of the initiative nationally would be higher under the plan advanced by the president and the Democrats.
I’m glad more Americans are seeing through the corporatocracy’s shenanigans and calling this reform what it is– a handout to the insurance industry that isn’t in the best interests of our country.
Well, I hope that’s what this is about. I fear this ultimately stems from the fact that 47 million uninsured people is only about 15% of the population. The other 85% of America is insured and satisfied enough not to spend more of their own money on insuring the last 15%. I actually think it’s about 5 years too early to try and pass health reform. The majority of Americans simply aren’t feeling the financial heat yet. The average health insurance plan is still “only” $11,000 per year. This number doubles every 8 years. So in 5 years it’ll be about $17,000 per year. That’s enough pain for more Americans to feel it and for them to start caring not only about themselves, but also identifying more and more with the steadily increasing uninsured market that’s been priced out of health insurance.